5.29.2008

ボケット: 空っぽいな~

CHEESE!!!
i'm alive!!!




no, you're not imagining it. i do have those dark circles under my eyes and there is no ghost in this picture... ><"




hahaha. okay, i just kind of needed to do that. *wipes away a fake tear* my internet randomly dropped out when I was trying to type this, so I had to run on downstairs, ojyama Okaa-san, and re-register the pin code of my compie. alas, it works now and i am back and snug in my own lil room.


well, this is a bit late, but 2 month impression!!!


Japan is still very much JAPAN. There are numerous quirks to this place, especially given that they seem to be obstreperously [sp?] proud of their homogenity. So strange. So true. I've also learned that no matter where you go on this Earth, people with no manners will be there. I've also learned to just laugh and smile, a lot. Hit in the ribs by a little old lady looking to get out of the bus? Laugh it off. Pushed out of a train car by the crowd surging out? Grin and walk it out. Shoved sideways and cut in front of by Japanese people waiting to get into a train? Just shake your head and let'em at it, obviously they have more urgency than me, and a heck of a lot less patience.


I'm rounding my learning curve now, and it's just... normal. My host family is still pretty much the same except that the same issues keep resurfacing, namely laundry and as a result the electricity bill. I'm pretty sure I have a huge part in upping their electricity bill, as I am the one in the house who a) blow dries her hair every night, b) uses her notebook computer like an addict, and c) uses the dryer for her clothes. Still, Otou-san via Okaa-san expresses much disappointment in my habits, but let's face it, if they haven't gotten used to me doing my laundry the way I do it now, they never will, period. Silly people.


You see, we've had all sorts of discussions in Japanese class, in place of actual learning of course, but the point is we've covered the concepts of "mottainai [wastefulness]" and "kougi suru gimu [duty to protest even minor wrongdoings]." I can understand how the electricity in a city like Tokyo is super expensive and all, but if the money my parents paid aren't going to support my lifestyle, than where is it headed towards? If it gets to be even more pickly from now on, I may have to change course and just start lugging my laundry around to do it elsewhere, ala super commercial duty coin laundries. I passed one once, by here, it was a 15 min walk away... ><"


Well, I suppose that's the end of my impression. Japanese people are just crazy. That, and they have a really high opinion of themselves and their habits, much more so than us "loud Americans." At least, we'll admit to being fat and loud. We just kind of smile, shrug, and go, "Yeah... that's us!"


With the Japanese, they seem to get super affronted at any non-positive criticism that's thrown at them. Like, if you throw a random general observation at them:


"You guys smell a bit wonky after a long, hot day. Don't Japanese use deoderant?"


They'll just stare at you like you've grown a second head and be like, "What the!?!? HOW RUDE~"


But, how does calling someone smelly and another fat not essentially equate? They're both mighty offensive. *shrug* Don't dish it if you can't take it. *nah nah nah*


OOOOOOOOOOH YEAH~


A lovely update on my brother's stay here in Japan. He's extended his trip so he'll be here from the 2nd of June all the way until the 16th, leaving me with 2 whole weeks of his lovely company. That also means 2 whole weeks were I'll again be struggling to balance family, clubs, and schoolwork. Let's hope I don't get sick this time! It'll be much easier if I don't. Truly.


I'm a bit sleepy now. And hungry. And tired... *grins*


*zippity offs to somewhere*


- T

No comments: