3.13.2008

ドキドキ:きんちょうしてる...

Pickle schmickles tickles wiggles: I AM BORED!!!

I've been waiting for the Fed-Ex Guy all day long in a strange and very saddening repeat of how I wasted yesterday, waiting for Comcast Cable Guy. But, that's not what I'm here for and that's not what this blog is here for now, is it?

Bah! Welcome and ようこそ, this blog is designed to be a complete and utter drain for every little thought that runs through my head regarding my impending journey to Tokyo, Japan. I am one of 7 students heading out there from the University of Virginia, and we will seriously work it ooooooout in Japan. *laughs*

I actually freaked myself out last night regarding how I will survive whilst in the Land of the Samurai and Vending Machines. I couldn't really sleep, so I spent a good hour or so awake and spazzing over what I'll do while over there. Everything is muchos kuchos expensive, but I can survive on 200yen ramen like all the other poor college kids in the world.

Let's take this from the beginning for all you newbies out there who are looking forward to STUDYING ABROAD IN JAPAN:

1 - GET ACCEPTED
I'm just going to cut to the quick and put it out there, just get yourself accepted into a program there first. DUH! I won't detail any programs because that's a bit much and that isn't my field of expertise. No siree. Once you've been accepted, fill out all the paperwork required of you at your school. For us, it included the dreaded Green Form for all the classes we intend to take over there. After you get your paperwork all turned in, wait for your school to respond with your housing and Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Next up is...

2 - GRAB THAT VISA!!!
Fill out a visa form off the Japanese Embassy website. Go to your nearest embassy with all the required goods: Passport, Visa Form + 1 Photo, and COE. It's a 4 day turn around at the Washington, D.C. Embassy. Drop off from 9:30 until 12:30. Pick up from 1:30 to 6:30.

3 - BUY YOUR AIRPLANE TICKETS
Tickets are expensive. Really. Finding a place to stay is also expensive. Don't go for hotels unless you have cash to burn and are willing to cough up $900 for a week's stay. Hostels are your BEST choice. Clean, friendly, catering to students, hostels is where it's at for all the pocket pinchers out there. To the right are some nifty links that should help you out in this venture.

4 - FLY TO JAPAN
Yeah. You got to be there for me to continue. *shrug* If you are not yet aware, I'll point this out to you now. Japan has new immigration policies that includes fingerprinting and photographing all travelers to Japan. It should take some time, but not too much. Just make sure to hit the bathroom before joining the line, it could be a long wait.

5 - GET TO TOKYO
For this, getting a Suica+N'Ex rail card for 3,500 is most convienent. The fare into Tokyo from Narita is cheaper by a half and 1,500 goes to traveling around Tokyo whether through buses or trains. It's just muchos more convienent. When I learn more about cell phones, I'll drop a couple lines here. What I have garnered thus far is that Japan and Korea are weirdoes that use their own special network unlike the rest of the world. Then again, the U.S. is the only country in the world that uses miles/feet/inches and whatnot. Who am I to nitpick? All incoming cellphone calls are free, but outgoing calls can be anywhere from 200 yen to 80 yen for any plan. Before even qualifying to get a cell phone or prepaid phone plan, one must have their Alien Registration Card.

6 - ALIEN REGISTRATION CARD (gaijin something something card)
Once you know where you'll be staying in Tokyo or wherever, go to your city/ward office with your passport and 2x photos. After 3-4 weeks, return to get your permanent Alien Registration Card. But, until you have that card in hand, get the temporary form for 300 yen or so. With this, you'll be able to open up bank accounts, get insurance, and sign up for a cell phone plan.

That's about all the helpful advice that I have for today. On to more fun and much random things!

Officially, I'm going to bring one large (30") red suitcase + 1 large grey and orange duffle + 1 backpack + 1 computer carrying case. Luckily for me, when I arrive in Japan, Winter will have just begun it's quiet journey up and out. So, NO BIG JACKETS to pack!!! 1 or 2 sweatshirts will still be necessary though, seeing as how weather flippin' fluctuates like no other nowadays.

I'm trying to find a way to call my parents from Japan without it costing me too much. I'm leaning towards Skype, but the last time I tried it my mic was wonky as anything.

I sleepy now. *hop hop hop*

- T

No comments: